Welcome to the 2nd week of Fruit Dessert Month! This week I pulled out an all time favorite and that is these babies right here. Lemon and blueberry is probably my all time favorite when it comes to food combinations. It is so light, sweet and oh my lemony! This is to die for.....literately
For the crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Zest of one lemon
For the filling:
2 large egg yolks
1 (14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk (fat free works well)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and lemon zest. Stir until graham cracker crumbs are moist. Press crumbs firmly into prepared pan. Bake the graham cracker crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. To make the filling, combine the egg yolks and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until mixture is smooth and begins to slightly thicken. Gently fold in the blueberries.
4. Pour the lemon blueberry filling evenly over the graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes, or until just set.
5. Cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator at least one hour before serving. Cut into bars and serve.
Adapted from http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com