Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mini Strawberry Shortcakes


Summer reminds me of strawberries and cream, it is probably my
all time favorite dessert.  So when I got an email from CCN about a contest from Driscoll's Strawberries I was excited. Then the thought process began on what I am going to make I could either go out of the box or go simple and in the end I am not an out of the box person.  I like simplicity so I made just a simple mini strawberry shortcake.  Really what can be better, it is just perfect.  Cake, juicy strawberries and lemon cream = delicious.

Cake
2 cups Flour
6 Tablespoons Sugar *Separated*
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Stick Cold Butter
2/3 Cup Milk
2 Eggs *Separated*

Preheat oven to 425*
Mix together Flour, 5 Tablespoons Sugar, baking powder, and salt. Well mixed blend together cold butter until mixture becomes crumbly.  Mix together milk and 1 egg in separate bowl and then pour into flour mixture, do not over mix.

flour hands and surface and take out dough (will be sticky) and shape into 1 inch thick rectangle.  Flour Cup or circle cutter and cut into dough. 

In another bowl mix egg and wash each biscuit with the egg wash and sprinkle the last tablespoon of sugar on each one.

Place foil on pan and bake for 12 mins

Strawberries
2 Cups Strawberries
2 Tablespoons Sugar

Mix together and let sit for few hours or over night.

Lemon Whipped Cream
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
5 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice

Place metal bowl and whisk into freezer for 30 mins.
Place cream into bowl and whisk until your arm falls off and you have stiff peaks.
Place sugar and juice into bowl and mix until fully incorporated.










No comments:

Post a Comment