Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Easy Homemade Sugo


This is my Grandma Jo's recipe.  My best memories are waking up at 6 am and smelling spaghetti sauce on the stove and she would simmer it all day long served with meatballs and Italian sausage.  I haven't had it or seen her 4 years.  She lives 6 hours away and with three kids it isn't always easy to just drive to her house. So when I remembered I had the recipe I woke up at 5 am just as grandma would do and I made the sugo for a family dinner.  I was in complete heaven it was just like waking up in her house all over again, the smell was so amazing.  Now you don't have to simmer it for 12 hours but try to simmer it for at least 1.  The more you simmer the better the flavor.


1/2 small onion minced
1 glove garlic minced
2 Teaspoons Oil
1 Large can Tomato Puree
1 Med can Tomato Sauce
1 Med can Diced Tomatoes
1 Small can Tomato Paste
Large can half full of water
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Tablespoons Oregano 
2 Tablespoons Basil
2 Tablespoons Parsley
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Thyme
1/4 Teaspoon Baking soda

Put every thing into large pot,cover and simmer from 1 hour to 12 hours.  The longer it simmers the more the flavor.  *optional Add in meat ball or sausage last hour of cooking*

NOTE:  I know I don't have the correct sizes down for the cans.  My grandma actually wrote the recipe this way but the next time I am at the store I will look at the ounces but if you do make this in the time being you will see the Large can, med can and small can, I was afraid I wouldn't understand but once you see it, you know.










No comments:

Post a Comment