Thursday, September 19, 2013

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup


This is my all time favorite soup mostly because I rarely have it.  Not everybody in my house likes it but I haven't had it in forever!!  So I made it and the kids at least tried it and they said they kind of liked it but they had sandwiches instead.  Pea soup haters.  More for hubby and me!  
It is thick and creamy and amazing!  I love soup season.
Now this soup does get really thick after it rests so make sure to mix it with water.

1 (16 ounce) package dried green split peas, rinsed
1 meaty ham bone or ham shank
1 cup potatoes, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup onion, diced
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water


Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given, adding the broth and water last. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours, until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone. Remove bone from slow cooker. Shred ham using a fork, discard bone and return meat to slow cooker. Stir and serve.




Missy wanted to have a taste too





No comments:

Post a Comment