Saturday, January 12, 2013

Soft Caramel Popcorn

So for our usual Friday popcorn night I decided to change it up a little bit and make a homemade caramel popcorn and this recipe was amazing.  We had a lot left and it does call for a lot of pop corn so we just sealed it up tight after it has cooled down. or just half the recipe.
I also do not use bagged popcorn I use air popped and I used 2/3 cup of kernels and I still didn't use all the caramel

3 bags microwave popcorn, popped
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (I like to use salted butter since the rest of the popcorn is so sweet)
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Instructions:
Pop popcorn according to package directions and make sure you get rid of any unpopped kernels. Kim prefers the movie theater popcorn but it’s good with really any kind of popcorn. This seems like a lot of popcorn but trust me it will get eaten! Place popcorn in a large bowl…larger than you think you will need.

In a large saucepan melt together the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Bring mixture to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce to medium heat and add the can of sweetened condensed milk. With the rubber spatula, stir constantly for 5 minutes scraping the sides and especially the bottom of the pan to
prevent any burning. The longer you cook it the firmer the caramel will be. I like mine a little on the soft side so I like to cook it shy of 5 minutes…around 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

Pour caramel over popcorn and stir until coated. This will take a lot of stirring to get it all incorporated. It’s great warm or at room temperature. Feel free to add in M&Ms, nuts, or drizzle it with chocolate. I like it plain and classic.

Enjoy and keep on cookin!

No comments:

Post a Comment